Wednesday 28 May 2014

28 May 2014 - The Old Post Cottage - Rain, rain go away ...

By Jennifer Metcalfe


What can one do in all this rain? Not much, so plenty of time to plan for a sunny day where I can sit and relax. This is just what I have done over the past two weeks.

Fields surround my garden so it is quite exposed and can be very windy. However, I eventually identified the ideal spot to create a small sun terrace, the only problem was that there was a flowerbed in the way - but that wasn’t going to stop me.

Hunting for ideas on eBay I found a circle of mixed colour stones and with a click of the mouse button, they arrived. Well, it was very nearly that simple.

The delivery truck drove up Brookside, which is very narrow, and the driver informed me that he was only allowed to unload at the kerb of the house – no further. Taking that rule literally it would have meant dumping a very heavy pallet in the middle of the road! After a lot of persuasion he did eventually agree to leave it in a small layby opposite my house.

The next day, instead of going to the gym I practised my tricep curls by carrying all of the stones to the top of the garden. I then left the rest of the project to Greg who spent two days laying the patio. I must say, the finished sun terrace is a work of art. So now I am really waiting for the rain to stop and for the sunshine to break through the clouds, in order to christen the patio with a glass of bubbly or two.

The weather promises to be good for our Open Gardens Weekend on this coming Saturday and Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment